To maintain your digestive system, you need to remember which foods cause bloating and which foods help reduce unpleasant symptoms. Read more about these products in TSN.ua.
Flatulence is an excess accumulation of gases in the intestines. Often, during this condition, a person feels a throbbing, cutting, sharp pain, which can sometimes cause fever. However, how told at the Altamedika Medical Center, rare sudden attacks of flatulence are not life-threatening.
Abdominal bloating: causes
There can be many reasons for bloating. Most often, this problem appears due to:
- disorders in the work of the gastrointestinal tract, organs of the abdominal cavity;
- intestinal obstruction, dysbacteriosis;
- helminthiasis and acute intestinal infections;
- nervous disorders;
- intestinal tumors;
- irritable bowel syndrome;
- hormonal changes (only in women).
It also often happens that bloating appears due to some products. If you remove them from your daily diet, the problem can be eliminated.
Some foods contain a large amount of carbohydrates, which contribute to the formation of excess gas and bloating. These products are known in medicine as FODMAPs (acronym for fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides, and polyols). They contain such carbohydrates that our body cannot fully absorb. When undigested carbohydrates accumulate in the intestines, they draw in excess gas and liquid, which causes bloating.
It is also quite difficult for the human body to absorb gluten – a protein that enzymes simply cannot digest. Excess gas is often caused by foods that contain a lot of fiber (broccoli, beans, etc.).
Bloating after eating: 8 foods that cause excess gas
If you feel bloating after eating, you should review your diet. Perhaps you too often include in it foods that cause an increase in gas in the intestines:
- Kale, broccoli, cabbage – cruciferous vegetables that contain raffinose (a sugar that remains undigested while it is fermented by bacteria in the intestine). Because of this, gas appears and the stomach swells. However, for in words doctors, long-term use of these foods can actually help by leading to a stronger and healthier digestive system. Therefore, it is important to eat these vegetables, but it is better to reduce the portions. And it is even better to steam any cabbage. So the fiber softens and the vegetables are easier to digest.
- Beans – lentils, beans, soybeans, peas are known for their ability to form gases. Although they contain a large amount of protein, they also contain fiber and sugar, which are difficult for the body to absorb. Therefore, when legumes reach the colon, bacteria begin to feast on them. This process leads to gas formation. It is recommended to combine legumes with quinoa or rice.
- Dairy products – if you feel bloated even after a small slice of cheese, you may be lactose intolerant. That is, your body does not have enough enzymes to break it down. According to research published in the journal Clinical Microbiology 2022, it can cause bloating. To avoid problems, it is better to prefer lactose-free alternatives.
- Apples – they contain a lot of fiber, as well as fructose, sugar, and therefore many people experience unpleasant symptoms after their consumption. However, they also help reduce the risk of heart disease, so it’s important to eat them in moderation.
- Food with a high salt content – eating such dishes can cause water retention. But it is not enough just not to add a lot of salt during cooking. It is also important to remember that sodium is found in processed and packaged foods (ready-made soups, instant noodles, fast food, etc.). Therefore, it is better to avoid them.
- Onion and garlic – they are filled with soluble fibers called fructans. These products are poorly digested by the body. Also, according to the data Tufts Medical Centersome people may have fructan intolerance.
- Watermelon – due to the high content of fructose, it can cause bloating. And such products strengthen symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Therefore, you should add them to your diet as rarely as possible.
- Wheat products – they contain gluten, which is difficult for our body to absorb. Because of this, problems with digestion appear, including bloating.
How to quickly get rid of bloating: 16 products that will help you
There are also products that help get rid of bloating and improve the condition of the digestive system. Among them are:
- Cucumbers – people often use them to reduce puffiness under the eyes. And cucumbers work the same way for your stomach. They contain quercetin (flavonoid antioxidant), which helps to get rid of bloating.
- Asparagus is a real superfood for your gut, it helps expel excess water to ease symptoms of bloating. Asparagus also contains prebiotics that help “good” bacteria to grow.
- Zucchini and carrots – these vegetables are not high in carbohydrates, so they are great if you need to reduce bloating.
- Chicken, fish – they contain a lot of protein, so they help fight flatulence. Lean proteins especially contribute healthy digestion in people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
- Bananas – bananas, as well as avocados, oranges, kiwis, pistachios, are rich in potassium, so they prevent water retention and regulate sodium levels in the body. And bananas are rich in soluble fiber, which helps fight constipation.
- Papaya – 2020 were published research in the journal IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, which showed that papaya’s main enzyme (papain) helps break down proteins and facilitate digestion. And this tropical fruit has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Pineapple – they contain a special enzyme (bromelain) that helps improve digestion and better break down proteins.
- Berries (blueberries, strawberries, strawberries, etc.) – however, it is worth remembering that they contain a lot of sugar, which can be harmful to your body. Always consume them in moderation.
- Yogurt – the probiotics contained in this product help regulate digestion and also support the overall balance of the digestive tract.
- Kefir – another dairy product that perfectly copes with flatulence. But it is better to choose lactose-free options.
- Fennel – it works real miracles with the gastrointestinal tract, helping, in particular, to overcome flatulence.
- Ginger – it contains the enzyme zingibain, which helps the digestive system break down proteins. Food is better digested, and therefore bloating is reduced.
- Chamomile or mint tea – research Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies for 2020 showed that these drinks relax the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, and therefore bloating passes better.
- Celery – this vegetable mostly consists of water and also contains a lot of potassium. Potassium helps significantly improve digestion. And that’s why celery helps to get rid of unpleasant symptoms of flatulence.
- Turmeric – it helps to improve digestion, and also reduces inflammation and pain in the abdomen.
- Cinnamon – this spice contains a large amount of antioxidants that help get rid of excess gases. 2015 in the magazine Pharmacognosy Research a study was published that showed that our ancestors used cinnamon regularly to treat a variety of digestive problems.